How to Use Discord: A Simple Guide
In today’s digital age, Discord has become one of the most popular tools for talking to people online. It wasn’t just for gamers in the beginning, but now, lots of different groups and businesses use it too. Whether you’re new to it or just want to get really good at using it, this guide will help you understand everything about it.
Starting with Discord
If you’re new to Discord, let’s make your account. Here’s how:
Making Your Account
- Go to the Discord website.
- Find and click the “Login” button.
- To make your account, choose “Register.”
- Fill in your personal info, like a special name and a strong password.
- To show you’re not a robot, finish the reCAPTCHA.
- Click “Continue” and follow the steps to finish setting up your account.
Making Your Profile Yours
Now that you’ve got your account, let’s make it all about you. Here’s how:
- Click on your picture in the lower-left corner.
- Choose “My Account.”
- You can add a picture, write a little about yourself, and even link your social media.
Joining and Making Servers
Discord is all about servers, which are like special chat rooms for different groups. You can join existing servers or make your own.
Joining a server that already exists is easy:
- Click the “Add a Server” button on the left.
- Choose “Join a Server.”
- Put in the invite link the server admin gave you.
- Click “Join” to become a member.
Making Your Server
If you want your own server, here’s what to do:
- Click the “+” sign on the left.
- Choose “Create My Own.”
- Make your server by giving it a name, picking an icon, and saying where it’s based.
- Click “Create” to finish and start your server.
Discord’s made to be easy to use, but let’s go through its main parts:
Servers and Channels
On the left side, you’ll see a list of servers you’ve joined. Clicking on one lets you get to its channels. These can be for talking or for voice chats. That’s where the conversations happen. To join in, just click the channel you want.
On the right side, you’ll find a list of members who are online in the server you’re in. You can click on a name to send them a message or talk about them in a conversation.
At the bottom, there’s a box where you can type your messages. To send one, press the “Enter” key. Discord also lets you use special text styles.
Talking on Discord
You can talk in a few different ways on Discord: with text, your voice, or even your face.
To send a text message, just type it in the box and press “Enter.” You can make your text look fancy with special styles.
Voice and Video Calls
For talking, click a voice channel on a server. For video, click the video camera in a voice channel.
If you want to talk privately with someone, click their name and choose “Message.”
Cool Stuff on Discord
Discord has some really neat features to make it even better:
Roles and Permissions
In the server settings, you can make roles with special jobs, so you can say who can do what in your server. This is especially helpful for bigger groups or businesses.
Discord lets you add bots to your server for different things, like keeping things in line, playing music, and more. Bots like MEE6 for keeping things in check and Groovy for music can add a lot to your server.
Making Your Server Yours
You can make your server special by adding emojis, changing the server banner, and arranging channels to fit what your group needs.
Being Safe on Discord
While Discord is awesome for talking, it’s important to be careful. Here’s how to stay safe:
- Only say yes to invites from people you trust.
- Don’t share your private info with people you don’t know.
- Be careful with links and things that might be tricky.
- Tell the server admins or Discord support if something seems off.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Nope, Discord isn’t just for gamers. Lots of different groups, like business teams and friend groups, use it too.
Yep! Discord has apps for both iPhones and Androids, so you can use it even when you’re not at your computer.
Voice channels can be set to private by the server admins, so only people they invite can use them.
Totally! Discord has things like screen sharing and video calls, which are great for work meetings and working together.
If you see something that’s not okay, right-click on the message or the person’s name and choose “Report.”
It is a really great tool for talking and being part of a group. Whether you’re playing games, working, or just hanging out, this guide should help you get the most out of Discord. Just remember to be safe, have fun, and enjoy talking to your friends!